If you have a garbage disposal in your kitchen then you know it is a great appliance that comes in very handy. It makes disposal of kitchen wastes that would otherwise leave your kitchen smelly very easy. However if you do not maintain it properly,it is bound to break down. This will clog the drains and so on,the list of expenditure on plumbing and drainage services will be a nightmare. Clogged drains are a big inconvenience and garbage disposal repair is very costly. Fortunately for you, these troubles are unnecessary as long as you take good care of your garbage disposal and this article will help you out. Below we will describe how to clean your garbage disposal keeping it in top shape and a few mistakes you should avoid.
1. Always keep your garbage disposal clean
The grinding element of your disposal is its workforce. If it becomes defective it wont work. It is normally covered in sludge and grease from the different food products it has been breaking up.
To clean this part,you need a block of ice and rock salt. Put two cups of ice and one cup of rock salt into a bowl.Pour the mixture in the disposal. Turn the cold water tap on and run the disposal for 10-15 seconds. The ice and salt act as abrasive cleaners,scrubbing any tough debris off the grinders.
Next step, fill the sink up to about a quarter height with hot water. Plug the sink and add dish washing soap. Pull the plug and let the disposal run. Hot water will liquefy any grease or oil stuck in the drain pipes flushing them down.
2. Always use cold water when grinding food not hot water.
Let the cold water run for 30 more seconds after turning off the disposer. The cold water will keep grease in its solid form easing its elimination. It will also keep the disposal’s motor cool while its running, extending its longevity. Hot water will cause grease to liquefy and accumulate clogging the pipes.
3. Avoid these foods completely:
- Meat – it contains fats which cannot be broken down by the disposal unit.
- Bones – are hard and can ruin the grinders blades
- Egg shells – The inner membrane can get caught in the blades,the shells can be ground into a sand-like substance sticking in the disposal system.
- Rice or pasta – Starch contained in these foods are sticky and adhere to the grinders blades.They are also highly absorbent,will absorb water clogging the pipes.
- Fibrous vegetables like lettuce, banana peels and potato peels – These foods are too tough to be handled by the grinders blades.
- Seeds such as those of apples and popcorn kernels – They are too small and will get stuck in moving parts of the garbage disposal.
- Greasy foods,fats and oils – Avoid pouring greasy foods down the drainage,Wash greasy pots or pans with hot soapy water first.The grease sticks to the blades diminishing function and eventually gives off a bad odor.
We hope this article has been of importance to you. The do’s and dont’s and simple maintenance tasks. Following this simple tips,you will keep your best garbage disposal working for many years. There is very little chance of you calling the services of expensive plumbing or drainage services.